Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP), also known as a hair tattoo, is a non-surgical hair loss treatment where tiny dots of a special pigment are applied to the scalp to resemble a hair follicle. The pigments are designed to either blend in with your existing hair to create the appearance of thicker hair, or if you’re completely bald they can give the appearance of a full head of shaved hair.
SMP can help both men and women overcome their hair loss struggles in a variety of ways. The most common are through:
- Restoring receded hairlines
- Creating natural-looking density amongst existing hair
- Camouflaging scars, particularly those left from hair transplants
- Narrowing a wide hair part
One of the major benefits of a hair tattoo is that it’s non-invasive, meaning there’s no scarring or down time; you walk in and out the same day with immediate results!
What happens during a procedure?
1. You’ll begin with a free comprehensive consultation with the SMP artist who will be performing your treatment. This will ensure they understand your needs and all your questions are answered.
2. During that same consultation, you’ll also work together to create a suitable hairline based on your facial shape and previous hairline. You should leave the consultation knowing what is achievable and what you can expect your end result to look like.
3. When it comes to the procedure itself, we recommend 2-3 sessions for most people. The number of sessions will depend on what you want to achieve, which could be anything from adding the appearance of density in a small area to covering your entire head.
4. You’ll experience some post-treatment redness immediately after, but you’ll also have results! You will need to wait 7-14 days between each session so that your skin can heal, but once you’re happy you’re free to enjoy your new look and your newfound confidence!
Does it Hurt?
The pigment doesn’t penetrate the skin as deeply as a tattoo, so most remark that although not necessarily the most comfortable process, it certainly doesn’t hurt near as much as a traditional body tattoo.
Will the Colour Fade?
Yes. SMP will lighten in time depending on your skin type and lifestyle (e.g. sun exposure). When it does pale, it’s only a matter of having minor touch ups to bring it back to its prime.
What Happens if I Lose More Hair?
One of the advantages with a hair tattoo is if you should experience further hair loss its just a matter of increasing the coverage with additional pigment.
The cost to complete a hair tattoo will depend on the pattern of the hair loss, the size of the area to be treated and if there are any scars present. If you would like to find out more or book a free consultation at a Foli Sim studio in Perth, Melbourne or Sydney, please email us here or call 1300 668 490 today.